Wednesday, January 31, 2007

India Shining !

No , not another NDA campaign ....as i read my google alerts on the IT industry today morning (I track Infosys , Wipro and TCS -more as a hobby) , it occurred to me that the changes we have seen in the last ten years are non trivial ,but as a nation we don't seem to have the ability to celebrate the successes that we have achieved .

The journey of economic reforms , deregulation , privatization has been indeed unique , the gradual shift of the IT services industry from a cost arbitrage model to a more solution based services model validates the offshore story and truly levels the playing field . And not only IT , the last couple of years has seen a resurgent India as far as the manufacturing sector is concerned . Indian manufacturing has come of age and from a Hindu growth rate of 5% , top conglomerates in India are clocking 15-18% CAGR . Could we have imagined a Tata -Corus deal 10 years ago , probably no , or even the takeover stories which are going around from the Aditya Birla Group .

With the reforms in the economic environment , we have seen reforms in the democracy as well , the good work done by the Election Commission , the fact that we have a more clean electoral process are indications of a nation on the move . In my formative years , I cursed myself for being born in India , the land of potholes , load -shedding , poor quality of life, no opprtunities ,but and in the last 10 years , i have grown to respect my nation , my people and today , I am a proud , confident Indian . As I experience my son grow up and see the way he looks at things , I am sure the next generation is being set up for success ...

While there are so many things that are still in it embryonic stage of development as far as we are concerned ,ex- the infrastructure , good governance at the village level , etc etc , but as an Indian , i feel proud of what we have and am not bogged down with what we don't have at present , because I know for sure that we will get there sooner or later and for me India is truly shining ...........

Jai Hind

1 comment:

Shreyasi Deb said...

yes we have moved from a society of limitations to a society of opportunities and am sure we will soon be getting there with improvement in our Human Development Indices and public systems.
The feel good thing is here to stay!